Monday, October 11, 2010

The Situation Thinks He Could Win 'Dancing With The Stars'

'My fans really, really, really come out and show their support for me,' 'Jersey Shore' star says.
By Eric Ditzian


Karina Smirnoff and Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino on "Dancing With The Stars"
Photo: ABC

After a late night at the club, "Jersey Shore" star Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino doesn't seem to have any trouble recovering enough to address his gym, tan and laundry needs early the next morning. Recuperating after an elaborate foxtrot, however, is a little bit more of a struggle.

Days after tapping his toes to the Black Eyed Peas on "Dancing With the Stars," Sitch was simply wiped out. But ever the reality show pro, he hopped on the phone with MTV News to chat about all things "DWTS": his Ukrainian dance partner, Karina Smirnoff, what he has planned for Monday night's show, and what he thinks about his chances of winning the whole thing.

MTV: Mike, how are you doing?

The Situation: Extremely tired!

MTV: Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be a guy who likes to be in control. So, what's going through your head when you're standing up there waiting for the judges to let you know your fate?

Situation: It really depends on which week. If it's a week that you think you did a good dance and you think your fans supported you, you're positive and you're not really that nervous. If it's a week that you didn't dance good, you're definitely a little worried. Week two was the week I didn't like my dance. My fans came out and supported me and saved me, but I was definitely worried about my fate.

MTV: This past week was a great one for you, going back to the future with some serious showmanship. How are you going to top yourself this week?

Situation: Every week is a different dance, and you have to work so hard just to get the dance down. Once you get the dance down, then you become a little confident, and the nervousness turns into excitement about showing people what you can do. That's where the showmanship comes out. It all depends on how hard the dance is and if you can get it down in the specific time allotted.

MTV: So, if there are weeks you're more confident and weeks you're less confident, how are you feeling about the upcoming dance?

Situation: I actually have mixed feelings. It is the Argentine tango. There are slow, finesse moves that have to be done quickly and strongly. They are movements I feel I can do, but you have to do them at full speed and the timing has to be perfect. Hopefully, I'll find out soon if I'm going to have a good week or a bad week!

MTV: We're used to the confident Situation, not the tentative Situation.

Situation: Yeah, that's what it really is. I'll be the first one to tell you if I made a mistake. I'll be the first one to tell you if some girl turned me down. But for the most part, this is something that I'm not used to. I'm not a professional in this field. I'm good in front of the camera in terms of speaking or entertaining or being humorous, but when it comes to dancing, you really got to know your stuff in order to be confident. You can freeze up or get stiff, and it's just not a good situation.

MTV: We know from 'Jersey Shore' that you like Canadian women. What's your feeling on Ukrainian women?

Situation: Well, my partner is very beautiful and very talented and very fiery. And at the same time, she's very caring. She's probably the only Ukrainian person I know, so I have to say I do like Ukrainian women.

MTV: I don't know if you're a betting man, but what do you say are your odds to win this whole thing?

Situation: I heard my odds are 1000 to 1 in Vegas. To be honest with you, I heard from certain people at ABC that my fans really, really, really come out and show their support for me. That's one of the reasons why I wanted to give a good dance last week and show them the reason why they're voting for me. If I can continue to show good dances, I definitely could get to the finals and pretty much shock the world.

MTV: Obviously, you're all about GTL, but how is dancing as a workout? Could we maybe see the start of DTL?

Situation: GTD — gym, tan, dance! It's actually a good workout. I recently did Men's Fitness and the pictures came out good. It's more of a lean look, but I like that look. As long as the abs are showing! Lean is in!

Related Photos

Heidi Klum Heidi Montag Hilarie Burton Hilary Duff

No comments:

Post a Comment